Blended learning has been a popular strategy in L&D for a long time. The term gained popularity around 20 years ago, and since then has become synonymous with multi-channel learning journeys and projects in the workplace. This blended learning guide is here to help you get to grips with it—from the very basics to detailed design and blended model techniques. Take a look through our curated list of useful articles, ebooks, webinar recordings, and research below.
We’ll keep adding to this guide as we find and create new resources, so be sure to check back often!
Blended is a vital part of many L&D strategies. As with many areas of learning, the COVID-19 pandemic shifted the way we thought about learning blends. Traditionally considered a combination of in-person and online learning, it’s now widely accepted that blended is in fact learning that takes place through a variety of mediums. And sometimes, like when the majority of your workforce is working remotely, all of these elements will be conducted virtually.
As a blended learning strategy encompasses so many aspects of learning and can include so many modes of teaching, we’ve included some additional related resources at the bottom of this guide covering things like learning games and virtual workshops. For more information on virtual learning in particular, please see our Virtual Learning Definitive Guide.
Blended Learning Basics
Whether you’re just starting your journey into blended learning or you want to get to know it a little better, these resources will help you to understand and articulate the key benefits of a blend, why we recommend it, and what other L&D professionals have to say.
- ARTICLE | Blended Learning’s New Definition
- ARTICLE | Blended Learning vs eLearning and Face-To-Face Training
Blended Learning Design & Content
Now that you’ve gotten to grips with the basics of a blended learning program, it’s time to start your journey. These resources are here to help you think more critically and strategically about how you design your blended learning journeys. Designing content for a blended approach can be a complicated process, but with enough information behind you, there’s so much potential.
Here, we have everything from blog posts to webinars, and even a couple of case studies so you can get a taste of the blended learning resources and content we’ve created for our customers over the years.
- ARTICLE | How to Design a Distance-Friendly Blended Learning Experience
- ARTICLE | The Evolution and Future of Learning Content in Corporate and Higher Education
- ARTICLE | Adapt, Extend, Diversify: 3 Ways to Create Great Blended Learning Journeys
- CASE STUDY | LOMA’s Blended Learning Game: An Award-Winning Mobile-First Learning Game Bringing Customer Experience to Life
- CASE STUDY | A Blended Learning Experience for L’Oréal Professional’s Colour Specialist Course
Blended Learning Strategy
In this section, we’re talking blended learning models and technology as part of your strategy to help you ensure that you’re using the right tools in the right way to optimize engagement. Your strategy will help you get all the components in place to make the most of your design. These resources focus on models, behavior change, and technology for blended learning.
- ARTICLE | 4 Ways to Increase Engagement with Blended Learning
- ARTICLE | 4 Ways to Design Blended Learning Around How People Already Learn
- CASE STUDY | Adapting a Global Leadership Organization’s Learning Strategy and Content in the Midst of a Global Crisis
Additional Resources & Research
A few extra bits from us on related topics and some of our favorite articles and books we’ve found during our own research.
- WEBINAR RECORDING | How to Make Learning Games Happen: Your Questions Answered
- CHECKLIST | Inspire Your Learning Game Design With These 10 Concepts From Commercial Games
- CHECKLIST | 12 Ways to Design Virtual-First Learning
- BOOK (AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ONLINE) | Teaching As a Design Science: Building Pedagogical Patterns for Learning and Technology
- HARVARD BUSINESS PUBLISHING ARTICLE | The Pandemic Hit Colleges Hard But Surfaced the Potential of Blended Learning
- CHIEF LEARNING OFFICER ARTICLE | Buckle Up for Blended Learning
- PEOPLEFLUENT ARTICLE | 3 Pillars of Online Learning That Will Save Your Training Plan
Want to start or enhance your journey with blended learning? Get in touch with one of our experts.